A Content Management System or CMS is a software which is used for creating, managing and editing a website even if you do not have any specialized technical skills or knowledge. With CMS, you can develop and design a website without even having to write the code. In short, a CMS website is a website which is developed by using a content management system. CMS not only helps in managing the text or images which are being displayed on the website, they also help in tracking the user sessions, handling the search queries, collecting visitor feedback and comments, hosting forums on the website etc.
Rather than developing and building a system which can help in creation of web pages or store images, CMS can be useful for handling all types of infrastructure work, while you or your website developer can concentrate on the customer facing areas of the CMS website.
There a number of advantages of CMS, let us look at a few of them:
1. Updating your CMS website as per your own requirements and terms :If your website is managed or developed by a third-party developer, you will need to content them for each and every small or big change you need to make to your website. For example if you want to add images or update about a new event, you will have to ask them to do it for you. Instead of going to the developer for each and every small thing, a CMS website helps you to get rid of this to and fro business. A CMS website can be updated and managed easily by you, without having to depend on a third person. A CMS enables you in making your website updated, more dynamic and more interesting and useful to your visitors.
2. No Coding knowledge requiredContent management systems are a boon to users who do not have any coding knowledge. They were specifically built keeping in mind users having little to no previous programming experience. Once your CMS website is completely developed by a professional developer, you can manage the content on the website easily with a CMS. The CMS comes with a WYSIWYG editor (What You See Is What You Get), which helps you to manage and edit web content, like images and text on the website. It is as simple as creating a document on Microsoft Word. CMS is very useful in creating web pages, blog posts, news articles etc. on the website.
3. Simplifies the redesigning of the websiteWebsites developed with support from CMS have their designs created separately from the content. Therefore in case you want to redesign the website or make some design specific changes, you can do so without having rehaul the complete website. The old design can be easily replaced with a new design in a CMS website.
4. Provides an all-inclusive internet marketing strategyThe best CMS for websites offer everything which is needed for implementing an integrated online marketing strategy. Most of the CMS offer tools for SEO, email marketing, social media marketing and blogging. CMS can also be used for creating event or member registration forms, collecting payments and for creating a member information database.
5. Multiple Access and CollaborationA CMS allows a number of people to have easy access to the website and also collaborate on different projects while working on it. Individuals can create their own accounts and by logging through these individual accounts, multiple users can manage, edit or update content on the website from their own computers or devices. The CMS helps in storing all the online content and making it available to everyone who has access to the website. Which means you no longer will need to send files multiple times to different individuals. Content management systems are extremely convenient for people who are always on-the-go, people who would need to access the back-end of the website from different locations.